Sunday, November 18, 2007

A Tactical Endgame

In the spring of 2004, the organizer of the major Reno tournaments asked me to collate the games bulletin for the Far West Open. This turned out to be a large undertaking as I spent probably dozens of hours entering the games and later annotating them. It's probably overdoing it to actually annotate the games, but I believe it's of value to the people who pay for the bulletin to see some highlighted moves and it's definitely of value to me, because I'm otherwise too lazy to study master games. If you're handy with ChessBase and are good with this kind of tedious work, I would recommend putting together a games bulletin as a way to improve your game, but it is a lot of work. I think I have it down to about a dozen hours of work per bulletin, but that may be underestimating it.

This is one of about three endgames that really stuck in my mind. I didn't label this one of my Endgame Obsessions, since it involves fairly short variations. Still, this ending is surprisingly interesting. I voted it as the Best Endgame of the bulletin. The interest picks up at move 44.

No comments: